The definitive source for New England sports content, NESN, has consistently been one of the top-rated regional sports networks in the United States, delivering authenticated Red Sox and Bruins game coverage, and exclusive digital content of all New England sports teams (Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Patriots) and their respective leagues (MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL) .
Before they engaged with Bosc Techlabs Mobile, NESN’s existing mobile app only offered a mobile web view of their website. This poor user experience led to decreasing user engagement and retention rates and contributed to their inability to acquire a diverse user base. With a brand and website re-launch months away, NESN was challenged to implement a digital solution that would:
- Increase end-user consumption to meet and exceed adoption and engagement goals
- Provide a cohesive experience across all assets
- Improve prospects for monetization
- Improve prospects for monetization
To address these challenges, NESN wanted to deliver an entirely native experience to its users. This included introducing a brand new mobile app created from the bottom up, with enhanced functionality and video streaming features. In tandem, NESN also wanted to introduce authenticated Connected TV Apps (Roku, Apple TV) to amplify viewership. However, with no internal product or design teams, NESN’s success depended on Clearbridge Mobile’s ability to meet the following requisites:
- Ability to coordinate project assets, lead discussions, and be subject matter experts when working with third-parties including: Brightcove, Airship, Sportradar, and Adobe
- Provide unrestricted access to industry experts with a deep understanding of the needs of the media and streaming sector
- Expertise in developing smart TV app (Roku, Apple TV) digital interfaces
- A proven track record of meeting aggressive time-to-market constraints as NESN required app launch to align with new website launch — four to six-month timeline
- Ability to support a seamless video streaming experience across multiple platforms
- A structured system in place with proven ability to deliver speed, security, scalability, and performance in the media space
1. Leverage Our Online Video and Video Cloud Hosting Expertise
As a sports streaming platform, it is critical to provide an optimal video playback experience to usersin order to continually engage them in authenticated and unauthenticated NESN content. Leveraging our expertise in the latest online video solutions, and video cloud hosting, we urged NESN to move on from their current video infrastructure to adopt Brightcove’s online video platform to optimize the viewing experience, and help their enterprise scale. This unique immersive experience incorporates authenticated live streaming, non authenticated curated video on demand, travel rights and blackout rules, geolocation detection, and the ability to cast via Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV Stick.
2. Utilize Our Design Thinking Approach To Create A Personalized User Experience and Improve Content Discovery
We leveraged insights from our intensive design thinking sessions to identify improvement areas and recommend mobile best practices for the new mobile and smart TV experiences. These insights allowed us to provide an easy-to-use experience with an updated UI, simplified navigation, logins, user onboarding, and intuitive user flows. These outcomes resulted in enhanced content discovery and personalized experiences catered for Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots, and Celtics fans of all ages.
3. Follow Our Agile App Development Framework To Meet NESN’s Aggressive Timeline Faster
Our refined agile app development process enables us to break the development cycle into smaller fixed sprints, which allowed our team of experts to stay focused on a few key goals to deliver the highest possible business value at each sprint. This framework allowed us to design and develop a minimum viable product (MVP), with a prioritized product roadmap for NESN. Following this framework helped us accelerate our time-to-market and deliver a fully functional product on time while still allowing for future product growth.
With our industry expertise, world-class team, and refined agile development and design thinking processes, we were able to go above and beyond NESN’s expectations. The app was launched in five months, meeting timeline restrictions, and has enabled NESN to be in a position to compete with larger players in the sports media industry. Additionally, upon launch NESN was able to see quantifiable results in their user engagement rates.
Key features of the app include:
- Ability to stream authenticated live video
- Quick navigation to favorite teams and sports leagues
- Tailored app content to users based on preference (sports, team, and league) and app usage (content watched and saved)
- Ability to view scores, stats, standings and rosters
- Set up game and schedule reminders as push notifications
Let's talk about your project!
Learn how Bosc Techlabs Mobile’s product design and app development services can help you build better mobile relationships with your customers. Start a conversation today.
- +91 77779 65000
- [email protected]
501, Shree Ugati Corporate Park, Near Nexa Showroom, Kudasan, Gandhinagar, Gujarat - 382421 India
1275 Wild Rd, Van Alstyne, TX 75495