Top 8 Custom Software Development Methodologies
Custom software development methodologies are crucial in creating the software per your needs. Its objective is to give seamless software development as per your project requirements. These methodologies also enable a project to provide better estimation, deliver a stable system and keep their clients informed. What are software development methodologies used today by most business owners?
Therefore, this article helps you discover some of the leading software development methodologies for 2023 that business owners can apply to scale their businesses.
What is custom software development?
Custom software development is designing, developing and maintaining software for particular businesses, functions and users, and unlike off-the-shelf software, custom software concentrates on the defined requirements.
Although, with the diverse spectrum, the software market often cannot meet all the demands of modern management and business processes. It is common for enterprise app development to demand innovative features for their application.
Many large businesses develop custom software for necessary functions like inventory management, content management, etc. This process of custom software development is expensive and time-consuming.
Custom software is designed to fulfil specific requirements, such as an online banking application that meets the bank’s and its clients’ unique demands.
Usually, custom software development is performed either with an in-house development team or outsourced. However, a process includes requirements gathering, coding, testing, deployment, and methodologies used in custom software development projects.
What are the advantages of developing custom software development?
As a business or organization grows, custom software development also does. However, developers and designers could assess future needs during the requirements-gathering phase. Besides purchasing the additional licenses or the subscriptions of the packaged apps, these factors are implemented into the application.
With the help of custom software, you will not mess with or adjust a commercial off-the-shelf app to integrate the processes efficiently and effectively.
3. Low integration cost
Suppose the commercial software is not integrated or does not work with existing apps. In that case, the business needs to invest considerably to get the commercial software to communicate with the existing infrastructure. At the same time, it can integrate the custom software with an existing infrastructure which is cost-effective for many businesses.
The primary benefit of using custom software is being free from a vendor of the commercial software, which has both positive and negative ways. On the positive side, the business can ignore a hike in licensing and support the pricing or avoid getting stuck in maintaining the software package if a vendor terminates the product or goes out of business. On the negative side, the maintenance of custom software development will entirely fall on the company that developed it. Hence, organizations must carefully analyze every equation before proceeding with custom software development.
Which are the leading custom software development methodologies?
1. Big Bang Methodology
This methodology is simple and suitable for small projects where a client is unaware of the requirements and how the project has to take shape. It has no rigid formal protocols and is not very complex.
- It is elementary to use as proactive planning is not needed as the other methodologies.
- It is also manageable as the resources required are very minimal.
- For beginners to implement their skills, this model helps you with the necessary exposure.
2. Prototype model
Software development implies that multiple processes are being added to the product, which has been carefully evaluated as per the stage. If one wishes to make a good prototype of the software, then it is necessary that the need for the software is understood and market research has been conducted properly. The help of a prototype model allows developers to create only prototypes of a solution that is usually demonstrated to their clients. However, necessary modifications are added based on the feedback of the client.
Flow of Methodology
- First, the prototype is created.
- Once that is completed, the client is called in for scrutiny at this level.
- If a client has completed a review, then the necessary changes are requested by them.
- After the changes request, it is applied in the project’s development phase.
- After the development phase is finished, the maintenance stage exists, which could be ongoing depending on the nature of the project.
- When there is a prototype, you can immediately view it for the client. The client then understands whether an application development is going on the correct path.
- When you do the prototype and get it analyzed by a client, it reduces the chances of failure as the client has already corrected you.
- The primary benefit of using this methodology is that collecting the requirements will strengthen your app, ensuring that your documentation is up to date.
3. Waterfall methodology
A waterfall methodology is the oldest and the most popular for custom software development. It represents the classical life-cycle approach to software development and has a rigid model which follows a definite and particular pattern. However, a sequential flow of waterfall methodology encourages the software development company to follow a rigorous procedure so that no functionality can overlap the other.
However, a waterfall method has some stages the developers must follow. Remember that the developer can not jump into the other stage before completing a previous stage of development.
- It is suitable for all projects of all sizes and difficulty levels.
- It has excellent functional value as it is effortless to follow.
- In this model, the stages are predictable, and the developers can work in their comfort zones.
- Hence, the stages are well-defined, and it saves a lot of time.
4. Agile Software Development Methodology
Change is permanent, particularly in the technology circuits. While the project is being developed, Agile software development methodology permits intermittent adjustments in the custom software development. Hence, to fix the changes time and again, a model must be flexible. An agile software development method is the key to such a need as it helps in the reduction of the risks as it permits the developers to make the custom software in small tiny boxes, known as iterations.
Usually, Agile software development includes a sequence of the methods and practices under its bracket. However, these unique methods are directly proportional to values expressed in the Agile proclamation. Hence, during an entire software development cycle, the issues with the best-fit solutions emerge and various teams are involved in custom development that utilizes these practices.
The developers can provide a scalable response to any new transitions needed in custom software development. Hence, there is no solid framework within which you need to work on.
- The agile software development method is famous because issues start cropping up early and are resolved there. In short, it is the adaptive method which responds to the changing needs of the project.
- It helps the programmers to be creative with the modification in the design code that helps to improve the overall experience.
- The Agile methodology has two-way communication. The client and the service provider communication is constant, where the regular feedback is more, and its improvements are at their peak.
- Before an iteration, the cost of the project and utilizing this development methodology is understood. Therefore, it aids the team in saving time and using the required resources.
- As a custom software development project is divided into tiny parts, managing and testing become easy.
- It gives the accuracy of the project along with an assurance that a project is delivered on time with superior quality.
5. Rapid Application Development Methodology (RAD)
This is the methodology which will focus on the rapid development of your project. It will take inspiration from a prototype model and agile software development methodology to make faster iterations and make the prototypes that are released rapidly. Therefore, it leads to quicker feedback and immediate correction of errors and will reach your goal as early as possible.
- Since feedback keeps coming in, the review is after and is followed by quicker resolutions.
- For further improvement, customer feedback is continuously taken and applied before implementation.
- A system is also transparent and permits the client to keep a tab on the progress.
6. Scrum Methodology
As in the Agile development methodology, scrum also ranks high in popularity. This model divides the working process into small bits to get the best results. A work order for each bit is decided pre-hand; after that, it is deliberated after a bit has been executed. This model follows the sequences:
1. Planning: It is done in brief to achieve the goal of the project
2. Meetings: Daily meetings that ensure that changes are made without any need to go back again.
3. Conclusion: Final review is necessary as it comes third in the sequences.
- The development team involved in custom software development is responsible for decision-making.
- As the feedback cycle is swift and calls for change at various ages, the project progresses as per its desired routes.
- To maximize individual productivity, engineers and clients regularly interact to ensure that snags are lessened and clients will get as per their demands.
7. Feature Driven Development
Depending on the user feedback, features are included in the system. However, an entire execution of a project, from design to development, is all feature-based. Hence, to achieve augmented productivity and functionality, this methodology uses iterations. It helps in dealing with the multiple complexities. The primary purpose of this strategy involves feature-driven development and will organize the work of the vast number of the team within an organization’s infrastructure.
- It is a fantastic method which could be employed for the larger projects
- Since an SOP is predefined and the developing procedure is usually simplified.
8. Spiral Model
This model was developed to eradicate errors at the initial stage of custom software development. Development begins from the more minor aspects of the project and then moves to large modules so that a systematic flow is carried forward. At every stage, feedback is short, and errors are only encountered in that stage itself. Therefore, the bugs are not carried away to the other steps at any cost. This project will move spirally from one phase to another, eliminating the risk and injecting feedback.
- Cost is estimated simply in the case of this model.
- The division of the parts ensures that risks are eliminated initially.
- However, everything is systematized, the development procedure is disciplined, and the flow is linear at all phases.
However, an appropriate custom software development methodology must be employed to reach the desired output in the development procedure. We at Bosc Tech Labs suggest that organizations spend quality time on the goal definition, objective, budget estimation, and development team to lead a project.
It is a fact that every system adopted has its benefits, but the organization has to select the best model which suits its business. It is required that you need to analyze every aspect of the methodology before the final words.
Feel free to get in touch with our expert team for more assistance!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the main benefit of custom software?
The primary reason for developing custom software is that your company wants to own the solution. Businesses operate the software functions, data, and developing methodologies. Etc. With the help of customized software, companies can make the modification anytime they want, add necessary procedures and will integrate the feedback from consumers.
2. Is custom software application software?
Custom app development is a process of designing, creating and deploying tailor-made software apps for particular users. For example, healthcare providers and businesses create custom portals for patients and employees, which are used for various purposes.
3. How many kinds of custom software are available?
Usually, there are six kinds of custom software development: customer relationship management, operation management software, e-commerce software, content management system, enterprise software solutions and enterprise resource planning system.
Consult Our Experts